Side effects of Metronidazole
Like all medicines, Flagyl can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
Stop taking Flagyl and see a doctor or go to a hospital straight away if:
• You get swelling of the hands, feet, ankles, face, lips or throat which may cause difficulty in swallowing or breathing. You could also notice an itchy, lumpy rash (hives) or nettle rash (urticaria)
This may mean you are having an allergic reaction to Flagyl.
• A serious but very rare side effect is a brain disease (encephalopathy). Symptoms vary but you might get a fever, stiff neck, headache, see or hear things that aren’t there. You might also have problems using your arms and legs, problems with speaking or feel confused.
• You develop skin rashes with blistering, peeling or bleeding of the skin around the lips, eyes, mouth, nose, and genitals. You may also have flu-like symptoms and a high temperature. These could be signs of something called ‘Stevens-Johnson Syndrome or toxic epidermal necrolysis’.
Talk to your doctor straight away if you notice the following side effects.
• Yellowing of the skin and eyes. This could be due to a liver problem (jaundice).
• Unexpected infections, mouth ulcers, bruising, bleeding gums, or severe tiredness. This could be caused by a blood problem.
• Severe stomach pain which may reach through to your back (pancreatitis)
It is important to understand that Flagyl side effects are rare but do somehow occur to certain individuals. If you happen to be included with those isolated cases of individuals who have certain Flagyl side effects, it is always recommended that you consult your doctor about it, especially if it was your doctor who has prescribed you with this drug. Side effects like allergic reactions are always considered as serious adverse reaction towards a certain drug but are unlikely Flagyl side effects. Keep in mind that any adverse reaction that someone has with Flagyl will not always mean the same will happen to you, and vice versa.
If you have a bacterial infection and your doctor has prescribed you with a course treatment of Flagyl, keep in mind that no matter how potent and effective this antibiotic is against bacteria, the efficacy of the antibiotic will not mean much if you do not follow the course treatment directions given to you by your doctor. Always make it a point to finish your antibiotic course treatment even if you already feel well or cured midway through your treatment. There is a distinct chance that there are still remnants of the bacteria that has caused your infection and stopping midway means you are giving them a chance to recover.
Not so long ago, a medical examination took place. It turned out that I have bacterial vaginosis. Although there were no obvious symptoms of the disease.
The doctor advised taking the preparation Flagil not only for me, but also for my boyfriend. For him Flagil was discharged in tablets, and for me in the form of gel. In general, an excellent drug, both helped! We are glad! I did not have any side effects, only the boyfriend was scratching his eyes for a while, but then it quickly passed.
The doctor prescribe me Flagyl after diagnostics of a giardiasis. After 5 days of treatment I took some tests. Unfortunately, the cysts were still here, so the doctor increased the dosage for another 3 days, after which the tests were already clean. I can say that Flagyl is an effective medicine, only all these days I felt slight dizziness and nausea, calming myself only the ability to recover in a short time.